What You Need to Know About Getting Intravenous Anesthesia
For the safe treatment of the patient, the following pre-anesthesia instructions must be followed very carefully.
Food and Beverages
- It is essential that the stomach be empty at the time of the anesthesia appointment.
- Do not eat any solid foods for 8 hours before the anesthesia appointment.
- Do not drink anything, even water, for at least 3 hours before the anesthesia appointment.
- Between the 3 to 8 hour period before surgery you can have 1 small glass of CLEAR liquids ( ie. apple juice, water, etc…) NOTHING ELSE!
- Do not drink any alcohol prior to treatment.
- Regular medication should be taken pre-operatively and in this case, a sip of water is permitted.
- If you have been prescribed antibiotics and steroids, begin these medications the evening prior to surgery and then take these medications again on the morning of the surgery with only a sip of water.
- You will continue the antibiotics and steroids after the surgery until they are finished.
Clothing / Contact Lenses
- Wear loose casual clothing for the appointment (e.g., short sleeve tee shirt). Female patients should wear slacks.
- Do not wear jewelry, hair pins or make-up.
- Remove contact lenses before surgery.
- Refrain from smoking prior to treatment.
- Under no conditions can you drive yourself home. A responsible adult (excluding a taxicab driver) must pick you up after the appointment and accompany you home.
- Public transportation is not recommended.
Change in Health Status
- If your general health deteriorates (e.g., cold, cough, fever, etc.), contact the dental office prior to the day of the appointment at Surrey Office Phone Number 604-507-0514. If in doubt, please phone the office to discuss the change in health status.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask them. It is important that you understand the circumstances surrounding this treatment.