Post Anesthesia Care Instructions
Following general anesthesia, 24 to 36 hours are required for the full effects of the drugs to wear off. During this period, it is essential that you follow these instructions.
Discharge From Office
- The patient must be discharged into the care of a responsible adult who can accompany him/her home.
- Arrangements should be made to have a responsible adult remain with the patient for the balance of the day and during the night.
Transportation From Office
- Private automobile is preferred. Public transportation is not recommended.
Food and Beverages
- Clear liquids are advised for at least 6 hours and, after that, diet as tolerated.
- Do not drink alcohol in any form for 48 hours.
- Resume normal medication as directed by Dr. Bahi after the appointment.
- If you have been prescribed antibiotics and steroids, take those as instructed until they are finished.
- Do not operate motor vehicles, boats, power tools or machinery for 18 hours, or longer if drowsiness or dizziness persists.
- Do not operate an aircraft for at least 48 hours following anesthesia.
- Do not sign or enter into any legal contract for at least 24 hours.
Post Operative Problems or Complications
If you experience any acute pain, heavy bleeding from the surgical site, respiratory problems, or any other post-operative problem, please notify our office
It is our desire that your recovery be as smooth and pleasant as possible. Following these instructions will assist you, but if you have questions about your progress, please call the office at Surrey Office Phone Number 604-507-0514. Please try to call during office hours; however a 24-hour answering service is available for after hours contact with Dr. Bahi. For after hours please call Surrey Office Phone Number 604-507-0514 and then press 1 when the recording begins.