12 Tips to Protect Your Skin in the Fall & Winter
Many people think that when the season changes from summer to fall and then winter, your skin isn’t at risk like when it’s 20+ degrees outside. When it’s cloudy, raining, foggy, or snowing, the thought of putting sunscreen on can fall by the wayside. The truth of the matter is that you don’t just need to use sunscreen when it is sunny – you need to use it year-round in all types of weather. It has to become part of your daily routine. UV rays do not discriminate – they’re always there. Read more about sunscreen on our blog: What You Need to Know About Sunscreen.
So now that you know all about sunscreen, we’re going to give you more great tips for keeping your skin feeling soft, glowing, and comfortable during the colder months.
Your skin may feel more dry because of less humidity in the air and also because of the heat in your home, which tends to strip the air of moisture. Excessively dry skin can end up cracking and bleeding. In addition to slathering on more moisturizer and lotion, however, there are other things you can do to prevent this from happening as well as stop it from chapping, itching, getting red.
- Moisturize immediately after you wash your face or get out of the shower or bath. This will help seal the dampness into your skin.
- Use lukewarm water to wash when possible (especially your hands and face) to help prevent the oils from being stripped from your skin.
- Protect exposed skin with scarves and mitts.
- Use moisturizer that is oil-based vs. water based to help retain moisture.
- If you have sensitive skin, it will be even more sensitive in the winter. Use mild cleansers and moisturizers. Avoid scented products, as they may end up irritating your skin.
- Exfoliate your face and body to ensure that dead skin is not blocking the moisturizer from getting absorbed.
- Use a toner and serum to seal in your moisturizer.
- Put on night cream before you go to bed.
- Use hydrating face masks – you can even make your own at home – Google for recipes!
- Invest in a humidifier for your home to put moisture back into the air.
- Eat foods high in water content, zinc, vitamin C, and omega-3’s.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. You may be tempted to want to only consume hot drinks, but be sure to drink plenty of water.
Do you need a line of great skincare? We can help! We carry amazing products that can protect your skin all year round! Come visit us at New England Oral & Cosmetic Facial Surgery today!